Cyber-Security is one of the most challenging aspects of running a small to medium sized business. With limited technical proficiency and resources small business owners often reach out to Managed IT Service companies to secure their systems and lessen risk. Still, not all IT Services companies have the expertise to provide expert cyber-security guidance to their customers. Small business owners should seek out IT providers that stay in up on current trends and invest in the latest security training. Here is a quick list of things you can do to improve network security for your small business:
- Ensure all employees use complex passwords and that they do not share passwords.
- Set password policies that require employees to update at least quarterly.
- Use two-factor authentication to enhance security and protect against brute force passwords attacks.
- Protect your small business network against malware, spyware, viruses, and phishing attacks by deploying a rugged antivirus and implement anti-spam email services.
- Keep your computer operating systems and software applications up to date with the latest security patches and updates.
- Employee awareness training. Involve employees in discussions about the risks of malware and the potential impacts to your business. Studies have shown that many businesses never recover from a cyber-attack incident.
- Create guidelines, policies and procedures for employee internet use and enforce them.
- Ensure that you have regular data backups and archive important emails. Backups should be stored offsite or in the cloud. Backups should be done at a minimum weekly and stored offsite or with a trusted vendor.
- Control access to all network resources. Monitor and control physical access to remote systems with CCTV and access control systems. Computers are easy targets when left unattended.
- Require employees to lock workstations, laptops and never share any passwords.
- Employees should only be granted access to system resources and information that are required to perform their specific job duties.
- Secure your Network and email. Secure all network devices including any device connected to your wireless network. All devices should be patched and updated regularly. This includes “Internet of things” devices with embedded operating systems. Examples of “IoT” devices include surveillance systems, wearables, echo dots, etc. All devices should have their default passwords updated and security updates applied regularly.
- Secure your company’s website. Create strong administrator passwords, update site plugins and themes. Follow your hosting company’s recommendations for securing your website.
Are you still wondering if your small business cyber-security is adequate? Allow us to create and maintain a managed IT Security plan for your business so you can focus more on your productivity!
If you are looking for an IT security services, and support company call Radiant Technology Solutions today. We do IT so you don’t have to!
Call Us Toll Free – 877-787-7008